The Governor's Mansion (1973)
AKA Governor's Mansion
From the book "Juneau: A Book of Woodcuts"
Unknown proofs were produced (unnumbered)
Print size: 14" x 18"
Image size: 11 ⅞" x 14 ⅓"
In 1906 the Governor's office was moved from Sitka to Juneau and Juneau became the capital of Alaska. There wasn't much to moving the capital in those days. It was just a matter of moving three or four people and their goods and chattels and probably a few files. Those first years the Governor had his office in rented quarters and the elected legislature met where there was space available. Later, when the old Federal building, now the State Capital Building, was built in the thirties, a suite of rooms was set aside for the Governor's offices and space was provided for the Territorial Senate and House to meet.
A proper mansion was built for the Governor in 1912 and is still in use by the elected Governor of Alaska.
Original price: $30.00