Joe Juneau, Harris & Phil (1973)

From the book "Juneau: A Book of Woodcuts"



Woodcut

Dale DeArmond

Unlimited Edition


Print size: 14" x 18"


In 1880 almost everybody in Alaska was either hunting for gold or thinking about hunting for gold. George Pilz, a mining engineer tied to a manager's job in Sitka, sent Joe Juneau and Dick Harris, a couple of broke and hungry miners from the Cassiar, on a prospecting trip. In their wanderings they investigated a creek emptying into Gastineau Channel and found gold. For some reason, or none, they returned to Sitka without staking any claims and Pilz sent them straight back to stake the entire creek for himself and his friends. So off they went again in a dugout canoe paddled by three Indians. They staked the claims for Pilz and his friends, and, on October 18th, 1880, in a burst of good, red-blooded American optimism, they laid out a 160-acre townsite and named it Harrisburg, the first of several names for Juneau. 


Original price: $30.00